Hi, I’m Keri. I hate kale and sweet potatoes, but I love Brussels sprouts and French fries. I practice yoga by day and enjoy martinis at night. I have been a registered dietitian nutritionist for over fifteen years and I love what I do.
My philosophy in nutrition is quite simple. I don’t believe in good or bad foods, just in foods that are better for you than others, and in those that we should consume more of. Honestly, I believe that all foods can fit into a well balanced diet. It is just learning about that balance that is most important. Deprivation is not part of my vocabulary.
My nutrition approach is rather no-nonsense. I look to science to make decisions on the newest trend or fad and am never afraid to speak on a controversial topic. Actually, I always enjoy a little friendly debate, and have often been asked professionally to engage in one.
I do not believe in diets, but rather feel very strongly about making small changes in your life that will ultimately lead to long lasting success. That is why I wrote my book, The Small Change Diet, to share my knowledge and what I have seen to work in thousands of my patients.
Before I became a dietitian I worked in the fashion industry in NYC for many years, perhaps that can explain my love for trendy clothes and stilettos. I switched careers because as much as I love clothes, I wasn’t passionate about what I was selling. You can look good on the outside by wearing a cool outfit but what really matters is how you feel on the inside. So now I promote eating right and staying physically active, and that I am extremely passionate about. Most recently I became certified as a yoga teacher after being an avid yogi for over seventeen years.
I live with my husband and we presently split our time between NYC and East Hampton, NY.
P.S. Other things I thought you might like to know about me:
- Masters of Science, Clinical Nutrition, New York University
- Bachelors of Business Administration, Marketing, Ohio University
Volunteer Positions I’ve held:
- National Spokesperson, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2007-2011
- President, New York State Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2006-2009
- Delegate, New York State Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2009-2012
- Annual Meeting Chair, New York State Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2006-2009
- Public Relations Chair, New York State Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2004-2006
- Treasurer, Greater New York Dietetic Association, 2004-2006
- Public Relations Chair, Greater New York Dietetic Association, 2002-2004
Honors I’ve received:
- New York State Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2010 Media Excellence Award
- New York State Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2006 Emerging Dietetic Leader Award